Dog Control Officer

Chris Spaulding

Town of Barton Dog Control Officer is a part-time position, and can be reached at phone number listed above or you may also call the central phone number 607-565-2261. You must leave a phone number for return calls, there is no caller ID

LICENSE: Any dogs in the Town must have a license if 4 months or older. Must have current rabies certificate, not tag and spay or neuter certificate. All dogs moving into the Town should apply for a license within one month of moving into the Town. The Town Clerk is the issuing agent for dog licenses

MISSING DOG: Call Dog Control at 607-738-1718 or Town Clerk at 607-565-2261 opt. 5
Additionally, call Stray Haven 607-565-2859. You may want to call your veterinarian in case the dog only has rabies tag on their collar. Also if you live close to a town line, call both towns.

LAW: Leash law is in effect.
It shall be unlawful for the owner of any dog to permit or allow such dog to engage in any of the following actions within the Town:

  • Be at large or running at large.
  • Engage in habitual or sustained loud howling, barking, crying, in such a manner so as to unreasonably annoy any person


Q: Does the Town handle cats or other animals.
A: No- we only deal with dog issues. You can call Stray Haven @ 607-565-2859 if there is a cruelty issue or call the Sheriff Dept. @ 607-687-1010 or Wildlife DEC 800-388-8244.


The price may vary change without notice. You should check with the Town Clerk for current fee.


Altered dogs $11.00/year
Unaltered dogs $19.00/year
Purebred Kennel Fees:
1-10 dogs $25.00 + $3.00/unaltered + $1.00/altered+$5.00 Local fee.
11-25 dogs $50.00 + $3.00/unaltered + $1.00/altered+$5.00 Local fees
More than 25 $100.00+$3.00/unaltered=$1.00/altered+$5.00 Local fee

Dog License Application (PDF)